|Closing date||30 Jul 2020|
|Rate of pay||£8.75|
PA needed to join a team that provides support to a good natured, placid lady with dementia based in Dilwyn, 7 miles from Leominster. Duties will include personal care, housekeeping, food preparation and assisting with medication.
2:1 support is needed for personal care and manual handling purposes.
Needs to be flexible. Driving license essential. Rate of pay £8.75 per hour.
POSITION 1 - to start in September
28.5 per week spread over Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.
1 x 10 hours
2 x 8.5 hours
POSITION 2 - to start ASAP
Wednesday 9:30 am to 6pm
Thursday 8:30 am to 6:30pm
Saturday 8:30 am to 6:30pm
Sunday 9:30 am to 6:30pm
I live with my long-term partner in Dilwyn. I am in my early sixties and have a dementia illness (which affects the language processing area of my brain) I am unable to reliably communicate my needs verbally.
I am a very calm and gentle lady and I can become extremely distressed and frightened if I am left alone. My language difficulties mean that my care needs to be provided by someone who is able to 'read' my non-verbal communication in a sensitive and understanding manner, and who can therefore act on my needs promptly.
2:1 care is neeeded for manual handling and personal care.
- You would be helping me with tasks such as bathing, toileting, and dressing.
- Making and changing of beds, cleaning of rooms, dusting, laundry and ironing, etc.
- You would be required to help with shopping and other associated tasks.
Preparation and cooking of some meals
- I require all my meals to be cooked and prepared free of wheat and gluten as I am a celiac. I require prompting and sometimes physical assistance to eat. All my drinks are provided by my carers and I require prompting and sometimes physical assistance to drink.
Supporting me with medication and appointments.
- You would be assisting me to take some tablets, unless they are split and support given it appears that I struggle with the swallowing reflex and cannot manage. Training will be given. I will require dental/doctor appointments to be made and need accompanying to any appointments and ordering/collecting medication.
Other small jobs
- e.g. helping to sort papers and letters
You will need basic maths and literacy knowledge, basic IT skills will also be an advantage. Previous experience of similar work is desirable but not essential, as I will make sure you get the training you need.
You will have both basic cookery and gardening skills and be willing to attend any training needed e.g. first aid, manual handling etc.
You must be able to understand the importance of confidentiality, be patient, calm, be a good communicator and have a good sense of humour.
A good attitude to independence is important to understand a disabled person and their choices
Team work is important as well as being able to work on your own initiative, and have some flexibility to allow for holiday or sickness cover.
You will need to be a car driver/owner and be physically fit enough to undertake any manual handling needed.
About Direct Payments
Direct payments are available from Local Authorities for people who have a care and support plan in place following a social care assessment. An amount of money is allocated to purchase the assistance and care needed to live independently.
I should stress that my partner will be your employer and have full responsibility for recruitment, contracts, supervision, pay, training etc. A support service assists him in meeting his responsibilities as an employer.
Salary: This is a flat rate of pay that takes account of unsociable hours and weekend working.
Hours: These are the minimally contracted hours. If I require additional support at other times I will try to give as much notice as possible, an ability to be flexible would be an advantage